It’s the enchanting scent of three days until payday and I’ve overshot my budget. A.K.A. a big slow cooker full of beans simmering in the kitchenette. It’s simple economics. If I eat at home for a few nights, and don’t buy any lunch, then it’ll really help me out going into this next weekend. Also, it’s probably better for me, too; it’s vegan and not really full of fat and empty carbs. It’s not chili, more like a stew with beans.
I went to TJ, and I put a lot of my big Washington road trip on my credit card, so, you know, I’m not destitute, but I could stand to cut a few corners.
So, here’s my recipe for 3 Bean Broke Ass Stew –
- Saute 2 diced medium yellow onions, 4-6 cloves of garlic minced, and a handful of chopped fresh cilantro in about a table spoon of olive oil with a dash of salt and pepper.
- While that is going, dice up 2 red bell peppers and 5 Roma tomatoes into the slow cooker.
- When your onions and garlic are about halfway done, add in a few cups of sliced crimini mushrooms. I used a whole package that I got at Trader Joe’s. Continue to saute until the mushrooms are softened, then add to the slow cooker.
- Add 1 can each of garbanzo, kidney, and black beans alone with 1/2 of a package of frozen corn.
- Finally, add a few cups of vegetable stock
- Then just let the slow cooker do it’s thing.
So, it’s going in the kitchen. I think I’m going to leave it on low over night. Then I’ll have dinner and some lunches for the next few days. By the way, all the ingredients are from Trader Joe’s, too.
I’m gonna get some sleep now, or try.