In Which I Decide Internet Dating is Not for Me

I caved to Creeper’s nagging. I posted a personal on Craig’s List. Don’t go looking for it, though, because I already took it down.

What a disaster!

Actually, that’s a complete and total exaggeration. It wasn’t disastrous. It was just uninspiring. My hopes were pretty low, and the response I got was even lower.

I got only 8 responses. Of those 8, one was a Republican, two were exceptionally devoid of punctuation, one guy only wrote of himself that I would be “glad that I met him,” and one guy seemed way too into Emo. Of the lot, I think I would have possibly hung out with one of them.

But really, when it came right down to it, I just didn’t really feel like writing any of them back. I pretty much already knew that I didn’t want to find someone to date, but was just kind of curious to see if I got any really interesting responses. It was more like a crazy single girl experiment than an actual attempt at dating.

I think I’m cool with my lot in life right now, and I’m not looking for anyone else to add to my cast of characters. Besides, I’ve already got one guy to flirt with. How much more could a crazy single girl ask for?

6 Responses to “In Which I Decide Internet Dating is Not for Me”

1. 1 ubuntucat May 7, 2008 at 3:53 pm

There was a time when internet dating was thought to be for crazy people, but every single person I know has tried it at least once. Why close off the avenue, I guess? The upside is that you have more possible candidates. The downside, of course, is that you have more possible candidates (including some major loonies).

Yes, enjoy singleness for what it is. Being cool with your lot in life is cool.

2. 2 peggyluwho May 7, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Thanks for your comment ubuntucat. It seems to work for a lot of folks, so it can’t be all bad. It just isn’t where I’m at, and you know, nothing wrong with that, is there?

3. 3 sometimesispill May 7, 2008 at 4:23 pm

Think of Craigslist personals like bargain shopping…you sometimes have to sift through a lot of crap to find a gem. I too got some wacky (often typo-ridden, disturbing and/or crude) responses on there. But it’s also how I met my last boyfriend, who’s a fabulous human being.

4. 4 peggyluwho May 7, 2008 at 4:27 pm

Hi sometimesispill. I’m glad it worked out for you, sort of. I’m kind of curious why he’s your last boyfriend and not your current boyfriend, though? Don’t mind me. I’m just nosy as all get out.

5. 5 certainabsurdity May 8, 2008 at 6:50 pm

I’m not qualified to give any advice about finding someone. But just go out and have fun. Do things you enjoy. I’ve tried several sites and services and set-ups. Sometimes it sucks to be alone. But a lot of the time. It’s pretty darn good. Good luck!

6. 6 peggyluwho May 9, 2008 at 9:42 am

Thanks certainabsurdity. I think you’re on to something there.